Autumn is Here!
It’s that time of year! The weather is getting colder, the leaves are changing colors, the kids are (still?) in school, and life seems to be moving forwards. Days are busy with the hustle and bustle of everyday life. I always love doing outdoor fall activities with the kids as the weather is just perfect for that.
With the standard chaos of the week happening, I try to plan some outdoor fall activities on weekends to give us something different to do. So, with that, below is my list of 9 things to do outside with the kids in the autumn.
9 Outdoor Fall Activities with the Kids
Visit a Local Farm
Farms are great places for spending a fall afternoon. The local farms in my area are prepared for fun-filled, action-packed outdoor fall activities. These are some farm-related activities.
1. Apple Picking – This is always a nice (expensive) way to buy apples. You can go to the orchard, spend the day in the fresh air, pick a bushel of apples, pay significantly more than you would at the store, take pictures, enjoy the day and go home. Many of the apple picking places also have little bakeries’ or kids play areas so you can make it into an even longer day. These apple picking days can become rather costly, but are worth the memories!
2. Hay Rides – These can be found at local farms (even some apple orchards), and municipal and provincial parks sometimes have them as well. These can be a nice 5-20 minute adventure, and kids always get a kick out of these. The ones that we have found typically have a tracker pulling the wagon, so they get a hoot out of that.
3. Corn Maze – Again, these can be found at a local farm, or just on the outskirts of the city. Most of the corn mazes I’ve been to have a pretty elaborate theme figured out. Some will go as far as to have evening/night walks through the maze, which is even more exciting. These are fun for the whole family of any age. And a great way to spend 1-4 hours on a Saturday afternoon.
There are so many fun things that can be done outdoors in the local parks. I’m fortunate to live not far from several amazing parks which have wonderful forests and walking trails. These are some things you can do as a family in a local park.
- Walks – We have great trails in our area, and you would be surprised to find great ones in all sorts of areas. You can do a simple walk in a park or a more extreme walk in the woods. There are trails for all ages and experience levels. And they’re a great way to burn energy and get fresh air.
- Scavenger Hunts – Before going on trail walks, you can create a simple list of things to find on the walk. While on the walk, everyone has to find these items. It makes for a more enjoyable walk and keeps everyone active and entertained. Sign up for my newsletter and get a free scavenger hunt.
Sign up to my email list and get a free scavenger hunt to print off and use!
3. Collect Leaves, pine-cones, and acorns for rainy day activities. These are simple little things to collect and can be used for some great craft ideas for kids, and adults. Check out my crafting ideas here for acorns and leaves.
4. Have a picnic – pack a simple lunch/snack and go have a picnic. Pack some blankets to sit on and under and just enjoy the day! Let the kids run around enjoying the weather while the parents just sit back and enjoy the view of kids being kids.
Around the House
There are also simple things you can do around the house in the autumn that are fun and outside!
- Rake the leaves – If you’re lucky enough to have some trees in your yard, you’re set! Let the kids help rake the leaves into a big pile and have an afternoon of jumping around in them.
2. Evening Fire – If you live outside of the city limits, you can have fire in a chiminea or a fire-bowl, or even just with a gas fireplace. Nothing beats a nice relaxing cool evening by the fire!
Go outside and enjoy the weather! This is a great time of year to be outside! Spend time with your family, make memories, take pictures, laugh and enjoy life! No better time than now!
And don’t forget to let me know how it went in the comments section below!
Was this Helpful?
Did you find this list helpful? Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!
If you liked this list, check out some of my other lists of things to do here
Don’t forget to sign up for my newsletters! You’ll get inside tips on upcoming posts and additional behind the scenes details about what’s happening on the site!